Rishikesh is an iconic city set in the Himalayan foothills. It is well known for its diversity. It also attracts a very eclectic crowd of tourists. Being a pilgrim centre of repute is just one of the many things that this beautiful city of Uttarakhand has on offer.
Trekking, mountaineering, river rafting, camping in the wilderness, this place is also a haven for the adventure junkies. Its white water rafting is popular across the world. Many tourists come here to avail the river rafting packages offered and experience the adrenaline rush of river rafting because of:
- The strategic location: The River Ganga is in its royal elements here in the foothills of the Himalayas. The rapids and swirls formed and the speed with which it gushes down makes this location ideally suited for river rafting. The sight of the gurgling and churning of the untamed Ganga seems to taunt rafters into accepting its challenge of taming the waves. Thus, it presents a picture-perfect opportunity for adventure seekers and rafters to test their skills throughout the year. However, the Ganga is uncontrollable during the monsoons and the undercurrents make it dangerous and foolhardy to attempt to river raft in Rishikesh during this time.
- Unadulterated adventure for all: The River Ganga in Rishikesh offers a long stretch for river rafting. There is also something for everybody. Thus from novices to the experienced rafter, everyone can enjoy the rapids here. The river Ganga offers 4 different grades of rapids here. They are:
- Grade 1: This is the family rafting point and is less choppy, without many obstacles and very easy to raft.
- Grade 2: This is for the young enthusiasts but it should be done under guidance. Spanning a distance of 16kms, it offers moderate turbulence, lighter obstacles and uneven flow.
- Grade 3: This passage is quite complicated with high rocks strewn in the path generating irregular waves continuously. Only experienced rafters should attempt rafting here.
- Grade 4: This offers the most dangerous challenges to rafters. Yet it is a fist-pumping experience. The path is narrower with high waves and numerous jumps. Most rafts topple in this passage and hence only the most experienced rafters are allowed here.
- Night camping: Rishikesh offers the most breath-taking starry sky for tourists who camp of the shores of the Ganga for the night. They also get to see a breath-taking view of snow-capped mountains. The rishikesh camping rates are affordable and provide tourists with an experience they rarely forget in their lifetimes. The serenity, the peace and quiet, the presence of a clear vast sky; all this add up to the beauty of Rishikesh. It is a humbling experience and one gets to see nature in its full glory here.
Rishikesh is a haven for tourists wanting to take a break from the fast-paced city life. It offers several opportunities for people to break out of their comfort zones and achieve the seemingly unattainable. Rishikesh is a destination people should visit at least once in their lifetimes.