Ever heard of an airport giving away free cash? No? Neither had we. We’ve got the inside scoop on how to claim FREE money at the worlds best airport!
Over the years I’ve seen my fair share of airport terminals. I did a quick count and tallied up that I’ve explored 33 countries around this amazing planet. Who knows how many airport terminals that equates to. If I had to have a stab I’d have to say a shitload…that’s Aussie for a lot!
When it comes airports I definitely have my favorites. If you have a few hours to kill waiting for your next flight, free wifi, great coffee, massage options (with all my sporting injuries, I get sore from flying!), good food outlets, comfy chairs, and lounge access are some of the things that make a good airport for me. We’re platinum frequent flyers with Virgin Australia and their codeshare partners, so we get to enjoy all the perks that come with lounge access including hot showers, food, snacks, magazines, coffee, alcohol and a cushy chair.
Some of the best airports around the world go above and beyond and offer attractions, lounge access you can pay for if you’re not a frequent flyer and heaps other things to do while you’re waiting aimlessly for your next flight. In our opinion the best in the world is Changi airport, Singapore!
I’m not the only one that thinks this airport is one of the best in the world; they’ve won countless awards. Regardless, if you’re like me you’ll just want to know what’s on offer to keep you entertained. Right?
Before we get into the list, I want to start with the FREE Money I mentioned. Everyone likes free money right? On our most recent stopover at Singapore Airport during our trip to Indonesia, we discovered a mind-blowing secret…how you can claim free money to spend in the airport duty free shops. I know right… shut the front door! Who gives away free money? Changi Airport does, that’s who! #bestairportintheworld
So how does it work?
Great question! We’ve flown through Singapore countless times and had never heard of this until one of our fellow travel bloggers, Jub from Tiki Touring Kiwi, let us in on this best kept secret.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to claim your cash!
1. Locate the iShopChangi Collection Centers
These can be found near the GST Refund counters in the transit areas of Terminals 2 and 3. If you’re like me and get lost when looking at a map, just ask at any of the information booths and the staff will happily direct you where to go.
2. Present Your Passport and Boarding Pass
Once you’ve found the iShopChangi collection centers, line up and have your boarding pass and passport ready. You can only collect the vouchers once on your itinerary, so the staff will double-check their records to ensure you’re eligible for the free money!
3. Collect Your Free Money
The staff will hand over some vouchers that you can spend in the airport. I wondered whether they’d give us really money or coupons. Turns out we got 2 x $20 vouchers each, so between Vic and I that equated to $80 that could spend. They also gave us two $5 off vouchers for every $100 that we spent. More incentive to buy stuff!
4. Identify Different Vouchers
There are two different types of Changi Dollar Vouchers that you’ll receive. One is the valid for retail, food and service outlets including the Ambassador Lounge if you’re keen for a feed and a shower. The second $20 voucher is valid for Liquor, Tobacco or Cosmetic purchases only.
How we spent ours…
To be honest when we collected our vouchers we had been travelling for 12 hours + so we were tired and not quite with it. So when the guy tried to explain where we could spend our vouchers it seemed difficult, that’s what lack of sleep does to us! To keep the process simple, Vic and I pooled our 4 x $20 vouchers for a total of $80. We headed straight to the duty free shop and within minutes Vic had spent the $80 on mascara, moisturizer and face wash.
What’s the catch?
Like I said early, we were zonked by the time we hit up the iShopChangi store so we’re not fully across all the terms and conditions. I’ve since checked out the Changi airport site and it seems you need to have the following to qualify:
- Stopping over in Singapore: If you’re transiting through Singapore and catching another flight to another country, you’re qualifying so far.
- Flying Singapore Airlines, SilkAir or Air New Zealand
- Point of origin is the following countries Australia, Bangladesh, Brunei, Cambodia, China (Mainland), Europe including Russia and Turkey, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, the Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, New Zealand, the Philippines, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, the United Arab Emirates or Vietnam.
BONUS: If you’re traveling with kids they qualify too. They just need to be over 2 years old. Your kids can go crazy in the lego store, or you can do a swifty and keep their vouchers, more shopping for you!
$20 Vs. $40 Voucher
When the best airport in the world gives away free money I don’t ask questions, I just take my cash and say thank you! But when we got home we found out that some of our travel buddies only scored themselves $20, not $40 each like we did. I’ve tried to suss it out on the Changi airport website but even after clicking on all the buttons, I still cant work it out. It just mentions if you’re eligible, but doesn’t specify what the criteria acutally is for eligibility. It remains a mystery!
Want to watch our YouTube Video about this? We were so impressed with this experience we filmed a little YouTube clip. Watch it and you can see how tired we really were!
What else can you do at Changi Airport?
We fly in and out of Singapore airport all the time and one thing I know for sure is this place doesn’t stand still. Every time we fly in there’s something new to see and do here. My favorite thing to do is sit in the free massage chairs and enjoy a foot and leg massage. After a long haul flight a massage is the best thing ever. Actually I’m lying, any time I get a massage it’s the best thing ever!
Here are our top 8 things to do in Changi Airport:
- Enjoy a free massage: Massage chairs are dotted all throughout Singapore airport, go find one and enjoy! You’ll thank me when you do.
- Watch a movie: In both terminal 2 and 3 there’s a free 24-hour movie theatre. I know a lot of people say this place is a myth, but it isn’t, it really exists.
- Get your game on: Now this is cool, there’s a free gaming section where you can play your favorite games. There’s a selection of consoles too from xBox 360 to Kinect stations.
- Comfy chairs: I’m not sure you’ll find this on their website, but if you travel often you’ll know that airports usually have sucky chairs. They’re hard, have armrests so you can’t lie down and are designed for you to hate every minute of waiting for your next flight. Singapore airport has a variety of super comfy chairs that’ll have you chilling (or sleeping!) in peace and comfort.
- Free city tour: If you’re transiting through Singapore and have a minimum of 5.5 hours before your next flight you can jump on a free city tour. All you need to do is register at the Free Singapore Tour booths located within the transit area.
- Butterfly Garden: Located in the transit area of terminal 3 you can wander around the Butterfly Garden, home to over 1,000 tropical butterflies!
- Kids Play Areas: If you’re travelling with little ones, Singapore airport has you covered. Besides the entertainment section where you can plug them into their favorite video games, they’ve also got a cool kids play area. You can even check out The Slide in terminal 3, a 12-meter high slide (the slide isn’t free, however you could always use your free money vouchers!).
- Retail bliss: There’s a great selection of retail stores within the airport, enough to keep you entertained for hours!
Hope this post helps you to fully enjoy your time in Changi Airport, Singapore. If it does, comment below and let us know!
Want to know more about Singapore? Check out our Best Things to do in Singapore!
Thanks for reading our blog! If you like what we do, connect with us on Instagram and follow our travel adventures!
Just landed back in Sydney but had to share one last pic of Marina Bay Sands…we’ll be back again soon! How could we stay away from this place?! Elaina took so many photos this day as the sky was blue…after the haze everyone was so happy to have a blue sky day! Until next time Singapore! ? #Singapore #marinabaysands #thefreedomtravellers